Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in Men and Women
Miami Florida Bioidentical Hormones Expert, Michael Lee, M.D. has dedicated his Miami practice to preventative and functional medicine specializing in Anti-Aging medicine and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy. With over a decade of experience working as an OB/GYN, Dr. Lee made the transition to private practice giving him the ability to connect with his patients on a deeper level. Listening to the patient and gaining and understanding of their current symptoms and overall level of wellness are crucial first steps in Dr. Lee’s process. After seeing countless patients overcome their ailments and find relief from chronic symptoms of varying origin, Dr. Lee strongly advocates the use of Bioidentical Hormones as a Wellness and Anti-Aging therapy.
An active member in the Fellowship in Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine and a board certified OB/GYN, Dr. Michael Lee of BodyLogicMD in Miami proudly serves the Miami-Dade County community offering the very best in preventative and functional medicine. As a highly trained Bioidentical Hormones expert, Dr. Lee sees patients from all walks of life and treats both men and women for the many symptoms and conditions related to aging and hormone imbalance or decline. Many of Dr. Lee’s patients come to him with symptoms they cannot explain and are unaware that they even may be connected. With Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, nutritional and lifestyle counseling, and customized nutrition and fitness programs, Dr. Lee offers his patients a new way to combat illness and take charge of their health.
Hormones play a major role in daily bodily functions, and are quite different in men and women. While it is commonly known that women experience serious hormonal changes throughout life as they endure monthly menstrual cycles and eventually menopause; many do not realize that men too experience significant hormonal changes with age, commonly referred to andropause. Andropause and menopause are not the only causes of hormonal imbalance, dominance or deficiency. Continue reading below to learn more about the hormone related symptoms that affect men and women which are known to be alleviated and treated with a Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) Specialist, Michael Lee, M.D. customizes programs that help women fight the effects of imbalanced or deficient hormone levels. While several factors are often involved in female hormone decline, the most common factors include aging, stress, lack of sleep, and poor dietary choices. Despite the reason for disproportionate hormone levels, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can rebalance female hormones, such as estrogen and progesterone. These two primary hormones are responsible for thousands of actions in the female body, and in order for women to experience optimal levels of health, estrogen and progesterone must be balanced.
Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in Women
Sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone work to promote vitality in the body, and when the body cannot produce adequate levels of these hormones, women may feel lethargic or tired all the time.
- Weight Gain
- Disproportionate ratios of estrogen and progesterone often lead to weight gain. In cases of low estrogen, the body holds onto fat to preserve estrogen because adipose tissue contains estrogenic compounds, and low progesterone leads to water retention because it is a natural diuretic.
- Estrogen dominance brought on by stress, aging, or dietary factors often promotes endometriosis. Progesterone works to counteract estrogen by inhibiting tissue growth in the breast and uterus, while estrogen promotes tissue growth in these regions of the female body.
- Premenstrual Symptoms
- Feeling irritable, angry, tired, bloated, achy, and hungry are common symptoms that women struggle with before their menstrual periods. Extreme premenstrual symptoms are often the result of hormonal imbalances; however, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can balance hormones and reduce premenstrual symptoms.
- Low Libido
- Degenerating levels of sex hormones often lead to a reduced desire for sexual activity, which can put a strain on intimate relationships. Replenishing hormone levels can restore the desire for sex in women and boost overall libido.
- Memory Loss
- Functioning to detoxify the brain, balanced levels of estrogen can help to reduce memory loss and mental fogginess, while potentially preventing Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Increasing levels of estrogen or uneven ratios of estrogen and progesterone can promote the development of fibroids. Balancing hormones with Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy may help the development of more fibroids or the enlargement of existing fibroids.
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep are common challenges for women under high levels of stress or women going through perimenopause or menopause. Restoring hormone balance can help women to easily fall asleep and avoid waking up multiple times during the night.
- Mood Swings
Outbursts of anger, anxiety, or depression may develop due to hormonal imbalances; correcting and optimizing hormone levels can reduce mood swings and promote a general sense of wellbeing.
- Hot Flashes & Night Sweats
- Working to signal the hypothalamus, which is the body’s temperature control center, estrogen and progesterone must be at optimal levels, or the signals going to the hypothalamus may get confused. Balancing hormone levels can help women to prevent or reduce hot flashes and night sweats.
- Overcoming depression can be a difficult task when hormonal imbalances are present because lower levels of hormones can reduce the presence of neurotransmitters that create feelings of contentment and calmness.
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Imbalanced hormone levels can cause women to experience one or many symptoms of sexual dysfunction, which can greatly affect libido and self confidence. Optimizing hormone levels can promote healthy sexual function, strong libido and restore energy and excitement to your relationship.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men
More men than ever before are recognizing that they have symptoms of low testosterone. Falling hormone levels typically signify that men have entered into andropause, and usually, testosterone is not the only hormone that men have out of balance. Multiple hormones, such as DHEA and cortisol may be deficient, and for this reason, Doctor Lee looks at the whole picture and does not just supplement one hormone. Through optimizing the levels of all essential hormones, men can maintain cognitive function, improve cardiac health, and reduce risk for strokes, heart attacks, and diabetes.
Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in Men
- Muscle Loss
- Declining levels of testosterone can cause men to lose several pounds of muscle mass because testosterone plays a huge role in the development and maintaining of muscle.
- Weight Gain
Decreasing levels of testosterone often means increasing levels of estrogen, which suppresses testosterone. Lower levels of testosterone slow down metabolism and can cause body fat to accumulate.
- Playing a large role in the way energy is extracted from cells, hormones that are deficient or out balance can lead to lethargy or ongoing fatigue.
- Sleep Problems
- Challenges falling or staying asleep can occur in men due to hormonal imbalances; restoring hormones to optimal levels can greatly reduce sleep disturbances and improve sleeping patterns.
Growth of breast tissue in men can occur due to falling testosterone levels and rising estrogen levels; however, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy may be able to reduce gynecomastia.
- Hot Flashes & Night Sweats
- Signals going to the hypothalamus, which is the body’s temperature control center, can become disrupted when hormones are imbalanced. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can balance hormones to reduce hot flashes and night sweats.
- Low Libido
- Maintaining intimate relationships can become difficult when men encounter low libido; however, replenishing hormone levels can help to increase the sex drive.
- TDepression & Irritability
- Commonly, men with hormonal imbalances experience depression and irritability because hormones play a role in balancing brain chemistry and influencing moods.
- Hair Loss
- Dwindling levels of healthy testosterone can lead to rising levels of a particular form of testosterone that causes hair follicles to die away. Optimizing testosterone and other essential hormones can reduce hair loss and preserve hair follicles.
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Blood flow is greatly affected by hormones, and if blood cannot flow smoothly because hormones are imbalanced, men may suffer from erectile dysfunction. Restoring hormonal balance may improve sexual function and reduce instances of erectile dysfunction.
- Urinary Problems
Less than optimal hormone levels can cause muscle atrophy, and because the urinary bladder is a muscle, its strength can become reduced with hormonal imbalances, leading to urinary issues in men.
- Memory Loss
Reduced concentration, mental fogginess, and decreased cognitive functions can all result from hormonal imbalances; restoring hormones to ideal levels can help to improve overall brain function.
As Miami Bioidentical Hormones Specialist, Michael Lee, M.D. focuses on preventing disease and desires to help his patients work towards the restoration of optimal levels of health and wellness. As a result of Dr. Lee’s advanced functional and preventative medicine treatment plans, he has helped countless patients rise above the challenges that occur due to hormonal imbalances. Dr. Lee continues to be an active member of the Fellowship of Anti-Aging and Functional Medicine and is always furthering his knowledge in the field of Bioidentical Hormones.
Get the facts from the experts and find out more about how Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy may be able to help you.